Social Media & Strategic Engagement Intern
Centurions Guild is seeking a Social Media & Strategic Engagement Intern for our Durham, North Carolina office.
Centurions Guild is a small but quickly growing nonprofit organization providing religious education as a framework for congregational enrichment to churches in ministry with soldiers and veterans. Our mission is to share the story of Christian soldiers yesterday, today, and tomorrow in Scripture, Theology, and Ministry. We do so through a variety of programs, resources, and events crafted especially for ordained ministers or lay leaders working alongside current or former service members wrestling with how to serve God and country (in that order).
The Social Media & Strategic Engagement Intern will work closely with the Executive Officer to foster our online community by maintaining the organization’s presence on various social media platforms and helping to create and publish content relevant to our mission. Ideal candidates will have basic graphic design experience and an established online presence. A sample of online campaigns or a portfolio of prior work will significantly improve a candidate’s application. This is an unpaid position, but candidates can receive preference for positions at the organization as they open. Particular attention will be given to applicants with experience working with, or preparing to enter, religious organizations and/or military communities. Veterans and military dependents are especially qualified for this position.
Application Closing Date: December 20, 2015
Internship Start Date: January 11, 2016
Duration: 1 semester initially, renewable every six months
Hours: 10-15 hours a week. At least 5 hours must be completed in-office each week
Need: Laptop, Internet connection
- Strong interest in the mission and constituency of Centurions Guild
- Detail-oriented, eager to learn, and able to manage tasks independently.
- Comfortable with taking initiative, working collaboratively within organization and in partnership with third party organizations and venues.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Familiarity with and fluency in mainstream social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, MailChimp, SoundCloud, Scribd, Vimeo/YouTube, and Eventbrite.
- Solid understanding of Internet social media marketing and public relations best practices.
- Experience working with, for, or alongside religious institutions and leadership as well as members of the military community. Veterans and military dependents are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Assist in building, maintaining the organization’s archive of digital images, videos, and other media content.
- Support the Executive Officer in planning of events by compiling guest lists, gathering registration materials, and providing social media support through our Eventbrite account.
- Cultivate the organization’s presence on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram by generating media rich, attention-grabbing posts that creatively draw from audio, visual, or video content derived from our activities, programs, and events.
- Perform research to find stories or other content relevant to our mission, post to our social networks in a manner that invites meaningful interaction, and responding to community feedback in a timely and respectful manner.
- Leverage social networks to strengthen relationships with existing constituents and increase the number of regional impressions by interacting with other relevant organizations and interest groups.
- Utilize word of mouth and Internet marketing techniques (such as blogging, SEO, social networking, and backlink building) to increase awareness, traffic, interaction with, and placement of CenturionsGuild.org on web searches.
- Regularly report analytics and engagement insight to Executive Officer.
- Interns may be assigned additional projects to work on independently.
To apply, please send a Cover Letter and CV/Resume to logan@CenturionsGuild.org no later than the closing date of December 20, 2015.
Applicants will be notified of our decision no later than January 4, 2016. Internship begins January 11, 2016.